Spiced, tender pancakes slipping around on dollops of a smooth brown sugar cream cheese spread. Carrot cake just became acceptable for Easter brunch! See my blog post here: http://indigoscones.blogspot.com/2013/03/hot-cross-carrot-cake-pancakes.html
For the pancakes:
For the cream cheese spread/crosses:
- To make the pancakes, preheat the oven to 200 degrees F, so you can keep the pancakes warm between batches. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cardamom. Add the nuts and raisins, if using.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the carrots. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cream cheese spread. Place the softened cream cheese in a small bowl and beat with a fork until smooth. Stir in the powdered sugar, brown sugar, heavy cream, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- If piping crosses, fit a piping bag with a large, plain tip; or grab yourself a sandwich bag. Fill the bag with the cream cheese mixture (if using a sandwich bag, snip off the corner just before piping).
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat, and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in it. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan and spread thin. When bubbles begin to form and pop, the pancake is ready to flip. Cook each side until golden, about 2 minutes.
- As you cook, place the completed pancakes onto an ovenproof plate/platter and place in the warm oven. Continue cooking pancakes, adding more butter as needed.
- Serve warm with cream cheese spread and syrup, if desired. Best served immediately.